Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 3 days in

They say 13 is an unlucky number. I'm hoping they're wrong, although my hailing in 2013 was not under the best of circumstances as I sprawled on the couch recovering from a stomach flu. 

On the bright side, at least I didn't have to start dieting - my body did it for me. Whether from food poisoning or the notorious vinterkräksjukan (a highly contagious stomach bug which is rampant through Sweden's well-insulated houses this time of year), it was over in a day, thank God. And since then, 2013 has been on the up. Well... almost anything is on the up when you're sick.


so excited for 2013

As for resolutions, I've decided to de-clutter my life, both physically and mentally. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a collector of all sorts - clothes, shoes, sea glass, text messages, scraps of paper, every thank you note and invitation I've ever received - they're all here, and I cannot seem to part with them. Not so convenient for someone who moves somewhat frequently, but what can I say - I'm sentimental. 

However, I have recently been struck by the urge to get rid of stuff. (Perhaps the fact that since Christmas, my clothes do not all fit in my drawers has something to do with it.) Either way, I'm taking advantage of the urge while it lasts and plan to get rid of one thing every day for as long as I can. Quality over quantity, right? 

As for the mental de-clutter, I'm trying to find a balance and focus on the important things. As they say, don't sweat the small stuff.

I'll let you know how long it lasts, but I can happily report I'm going strong 3 days in. What is your New Years Resolution?

2 comments:

  1. That's such a good idea!

    My new year's resolutions are all going to be small. In the past, I've made grand resolutions that inevitably end in failure because they're not specific.

    Resolution #1: Do a random act of kindness once a week; In the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook, I participated in the 26 acts of kindness movement started by Ann Curry. It felt amazing and decided to take it into 2013!

    Resolution #2: Do something physical every day; Notoriously failing at weight loss, I think doing SOMETHING for at least 15 minutes a day that is active will help take off a few lbs (especially for your big day!!)

    Resolution #3: Try something new every month; I've always tried learning new languages, or taking up cooking, but I can't stick to it, SO...since variety is the spice of life, why limit myself to one thing? Instead, I want to try different things each month.

    Wish me luck! :)

    (P.S. Miss you! Skype soon?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your resolutions, Lesley! I might steal #1, need some more kindness to get through these long winter months :) And yes, let's definitely Skype soon! Miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete