Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Juxtaposition of Artists



J.M.W. Turner, Claude Monet & Cy Twombly - 3 seemingly very different artists who painted in 3 very different times - the early 1800s, late 1800s/ early 1900s, and the mid-late 1900s respectively. And yet, many of the same themes run through each of their paintings, a point well-established at the Modern Museum's recent exhibit on these three masters of the brush. The exhibit concentrates on the 3 artists later works, displaying the paintings of each artist with those of the others by theme: beauty, seasons, the sublime. 


Turner and Monet were pioneers of the canvas for their times, while Twombly's unique, contemporary style was heavily influenced by classicism. All three artists faced a certain degree of opposition in pushing the boundaries of acceptable painting styles. 

Listening to my audio guide, I learned a great deal about Turner, Monet and Twombly both individually and in comparison to one another. I can highly recommend this engaging and unusual exhibit - although I do need to invest in one of those museum stools if I'm going to make my museum visits a more regular occurence.

No comments:

Post a Comment