Thursday, January 2, 2014

Starting the new year right

What do you miss about the States? 

It's a common question for me here in the far north, and one to which I always answer - after family, friends, and hot summers of course - orange chicken. One of the main dishes of American-style Chinese food, I simply can't get enough of it. Every time I'm home, I make a point to eat orange chicken at least once, ideally from Panda Express, America's Chinese fast-food of choice. The small pieces are completely engulfed in the gooey orangey goodness so each bite is extra flavorful. I'm undoubtedly taking 10 years off my life with whatever chemicals are used in the concoction, but it's totally worth it. 

My cravings for orange chicken have always been limited to my visits to States... until yesterday, that is. On the international hangover day of the year, NS and I dragged ourselves across the street - a struggle in itself - for Chinese takeout. I was preparing myself for the disappointment I always feel as soon as I take my first bite of Swedish Chinese food - a meaty lump doused in salty sauce at best - when low and behold, I discovered this amazing sign:


"Orange chicken, comes from America" - eureka! What luck! The greatest moment in Swedish culinary history since princess cake. And I have to say, it was pretty good. A bit of salad strangely added into the mix, but otherwise, grade-A orange chicken. I have a feeling it's gonna be a good year.

5 comments:

  1. Oh!!!! I have to try it! I love orange chicken too but it's been years since I've had it. I think the year is definitely off to a good start! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing! And pretty good at this restaurant, too :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The place is called Kung Fu, it's right across the street from my building on Lugnets Alle :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Katie...I had no idea you liked Panda orange chicken....we must go when you come HOME.....which, by the way, I hope is soon, because I miss you so much! So we will have a date night,maybe with S2.....if they can handle the simplicity of eati ng in a mall food court!!!

    ReplyDelete